NIDA: National Drug Facts Week Infographic
Please feel free to share this Drug Facts Week Infographic on your site, at your school or work, and with anyone you feel it will help. Help us continue to spread the facts about drug abuse, addiction, and alcoholism.
Shatter the Myths: Drug Facts Week: January 27 – February 2, 2014
National Drug Facts Week (NDFW) is a health observance week for teens that aims to shatter the myths about drugs and drug abuse.
· MYTH: Marijuana is natural and you can’t get addicted.
FACT: 1 in 11 people who smoke marijuana becomes addicted.
· MYTH: Most drunk drivers are by older people who are long-term alcoholics.
FACT: Each year, an estimated 5,000 people under the age of 21 die from injuries caused by underage drinking. 21-24 year olds were the highest percentage of drunk drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2011.
· MYTH: Teens drinking does not lead to alcoholism.
FACT: More than 4 in 10 people who began drinking alcohol before the age of 15 develop alcoholism.
· MYTH: You can’t become addicted to a drug after one use.
FACT: Some drugs, like Meth, can cause a chemical dependency in the brain from just one use.
· MYTH: Heroin kills more than OxyContin
FACT: Prescription pain killers like Vicodin and OxyContin were involved in more overdose deaths than cocaine and heroin combined in 2007.
The #1 Myth
· MYTH: A person who is addicted to drugs or alcohol is hopeless and cannot get better.
FACT: Anyone can recover from the drug and alcohol abuse if they are willing to get the help they deserve. Treatment can and does work! To learn more about how treatment can work for you, or your loved one, please visit us online at www.thewatershed.com, or call toll-free at 1-800 853-1614.
The Media’s Influence
- 1 in 3 songs has something about drugs, alcohol, or tobacco use in the lyrics or video.
- 3 out of 4 rap reference the use of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco.
- 1 in 3 movies show people getting drunk.
For More Information About Drug Abuse
To learn more about how treatment can work for you or your loved ones, please visit us online at 111.thewatershed.com or call toll-free at: 1-800-853-1614.
Resources:Tags: Alcoholism, drug addiction, infographic, infographics, jellinek curve, national drug facts week