It’s been a little over a year since Cory Monteith died of a heroin overdose in a Vancouver hotel room. The “Glee” star’s body was found around noon on July 13, 2013 at the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel. After failing to check out following a week-long stay, hotel staff discovered Monteith in his room. The actor was just 31.
Cory Monteith’s Mother Speaks Out
In her first public appearance since her son’s tragic death, Monteith’s mother, Ann McGregor, sat down with “Good Morning America” for an emotional interview. In it she described the loss of her son as “horrendous,” saying she couldn’t even look at pictures. She discussed the heartbreak of losing Cory, and spoke about his prior troubles with substance abuse.
Monteith was only 15 years old when he overdosed for the first time. As his mother recounted the “code blue” scare, she reflected on some of the circumstances surrounding his childhood. “I think that was the turning point,” said McGregor. “He had a lot of emotional things he was trying to figure out — lot of it was he really wanted a relationship with his father. I think when a child gets invalidated they keep reaching even harder. They want to find out why.”
Dealing With Addiction
Sadly, Cory Monteith’s substance abuse continued through adulthood. In 2011, Monteith opened up in a candid interview where he discussed using drugs at a very young age. By 19, his mother and some of his friends staged an intervention, and Cory got help. But, unfortunately he relapsed.
In March 2013, Monteith once again found himself in rehab. “Cory Monteith has voluntarily admitted himself into a treatment facility for substance addiction,” his rep said in a statement. He left rehab that April and, at the time, all seemed well for the actor and his girlfriend, Lea Michele.
But you already know the end of this story. That July, Monteith was again battling substance abuse. And in the early morning hours of July 13, he lost that fight.
Committing to Sobriety
Cory Monteith’s tragic death is a solemn yet critical reminder that sobriety is not a 30-day program; it’s a lifelong commitment. If you are struggling with your own substance abuse problems, or are looking for help for a loved one who is, The Watershed can help. Call us any time: 1-800-861-1768.
Tags: celebrity overdose, cory monteith, drug overdose death, glee, International Overdose Awareness Day, Narcotics Overdose Prevention and Education